Wednesday, February 28, 2007

'Gloss'ing it over......

I've made some progress on the Waving Lace. I'm working the heel flap now but thought I'd share the fact that I've had to make a few adjustments since I'm using the Gloss yarn from KnitPicks. I know they show it as a sock yarn but this yarn is a thick yarn. At least, thicker than what I'm use to using. I also find it splits a bit too, but you just have to be careful. The leg calls for 3 1/2 repeats of the pattern for 6 3/4 inches from CO. When I reached 3 repeats + 4 rows I'm at 7 inches. And I may have to adjust the number of heel rows I'll have to do from what the pattern calls for. Then of course, the repeats on the instep will have to be adjusted.....but I'm determined to use this yarn. I've had in my stash a while waiting for the right thing to come along. I think it shows the pattern off nicely too. I'll keep you posted on the progress of the sock and this particular yarn.
Although I've not done the pomatomus socks (shocker huh) I agree with Mango - this pattern does remind me of those great socks. Have you seen Cookie's other patterns? What a talent she has!
There are so many patterns in this book that I can't wait to try......I'll have to control myself into finishing the second sock of this pair before I cast on another. Am I that disciplines.....I don't know....hhhmmm...............
*Edited to add: I'm using a size 1 circular needle on these socks, 'Magic Loop' style

6 comments:

bonitapita said...

Thanks for posting about this yarn. I have some coming in the mail HOPEFULLY this week. I saw that you were doing this sock in it and thought it was beautiful. What size needles are you using?

Knit-Wit said...

Ha! You're funny. I was just thinking the same thing. I'm not sure if I can wait to finish my second sock when my book arrives. I'll be too anxious to get started on one of the patterns in the book.

Anonymous said...

Your socks are beautiful but I do not know why you are having problems with the Gloss yarn. I am currently knitting another pattern with Gloss and I love it. The gauge is 8st/inch on US size 1 circulars which is average for fingering wt yarn and not thick at all. I also have had no problem with the yarn splitting! I am sorry you have problems but I find the yarn to be very nice.

Marsha said...

Artsey.....the only trouble I have with the yarn splitting is with the SSKs, it you don't get the needle in there just right it will split on you. But like I said, you just have to be careful.

Anonymous said...

Marsha, just wondering which brand circular needles you are using? I have Addi Turbos and Knitpicks circulars. Knitpicks has sharper points and are easier to use with SSKs and K2tog. I usually have the same trouble as you with any yarn when knitting with my Addi's.

Marsha said...

Artsey - I'm using the KnitPicks too....love them, they are great. I'm not a tight knitter, but they aren't loose stitches either. I'm working on another sock now using another color of Gloss. It still seems to split a bit, but nothing I can't deal with. I've had the yarn for a while, since when they first came out with it...perhaps that has something to do with it and the twist on the yarn has gotten better. I'll try this yarn again for sure, it's quite lovely.