Friday, June 1, 2007

Waving Lace Socks - Help Please !

I am knitting my 1st sock from the book & have chosen the Waving Lace which is a nice pattern to knit with but as I knit along, I am not so happy with the "holes"......In the pattern (for the 1st 10 rows) the yarn over is after a knit stitch, so the hole is smaller but for the 2nd part of the pattern (rows 11-20), the yarn over is before a purl stitch & the yarn has to go a complete round on the needle thus creating a bigger hole.
I have seen many finished Waving Lace socks & did not see any "holes" like mine. Am I doing something not right ? Please help .....
Thanks !
Ann www.1morerow.blogspot.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful color! your sock looks fine to me, even the socks on the cover of the book have the bigger hole in the second half of the pattern. dont worry, keep going, they ll be very pretty!

Margie said...

I have been unhappy with this phenomenom as well. I was thinking on my next pair that I would do a lifted increase after a purl instead of a yarn over to make the hole smaller. But Silke is right, don't sweat it too much.

Michelle said...

This problem frustrated me as well. I accidentally found a solution that helps a little. For the bigger YO, skip it. On the next row, work until right before where the YO is supposed to be, and just lift up the yarn between the stitches below onto the left needle to make a YO. I think this might be the same as Margie's lifted increase, not sure.